Before the torque tubes are installed, Vans suggest you prime the inside of the tubes.
So to clean and scuff the tube interiors I pushed a roll of Scotchbrite through several times, and then did the same with my usual paper towels, soaked in Acetone, to clean and degrease.
Then the messy bit! Following the advice on the first page of Section 5 in the manual, I poured primer into the tubes, rotating them to get complete coverage.
I found it less messy to pour in the primer from a little bottle with a spout, attempting to get the excess back into the original pot.
Good luck : )
You have to drill a little hole in the Linear Extension Shaft so that safety wire prevents the jam-nut from rotating.
I was expecting trouble with this, due to the angle, but it actually went very easily.
Flap Position Sensor
As per OP Section 54 I drilled the hole in the crank for the Flap Position Sensor pushrod.
I then primed inside the crank tube as well.
More fun crimping on some micro Molex terminals … it’s been a long time since I did this when wiring the elevator trim servo, so for once I found one of my old blog posts useful to remind me of how I did it last time : )
Pliers soon sorted the pushrod bend …
… but rather than fix the length of the pushrod by a z-bend on the other end, I used a “Quick Link” as used in Radio Control planes. That way I’m hoping to fine tune the required travel datum.
Inserting the Torque Rods
Even with the powder coating sanded smooth on the tube edges they were a tight fit in the bushes … but I needn’t have worried, because when I smeared on some grease they slid in much more easily.
I adjusted the flap actuator position by motoring it slowly with a 9v battery … this enabled me to set the flap position sensor position prior to tightening its attachment bolts.
So that’s this section done. Next up … the Upper Forward Fuselage!