As usual I started this section by working through the manual preparing parts ready for priming.
One of the first jobs was to enlarge the communications antenna holes in the lower skins from #40 to 9/16″. I drilled both sides having made the decision to place both radio antennae under these skins.
I managed to get the skins under the pillar drill, clamping them securely to prevent movement during the step drilling.
The rear edge of these skins are “broken” … another clear head is needed to ensure the edges are deflected in the correct sense!
The skins are also quite thick, so these were the hardest edges to break so far in the build. But by clamping the workpiece and going carefully all worked out OK.
The stainless steel panels of the tunnel were quite quick to debur, having been manufactured nicely.
Lots of dimpling of various holes … I used a reduced diameter die for the holes near the flanges.
An easy job to machine countersink the Cowl Attach Plate holes.
After priming I masked off the lower skins so I could spray the areas visible in the cockpit with my chosen cockpit colour.
As previously mentioned, I’m doing this to give myself an option of not having to spray the cockpit once constructed with all the accessibility problems.
A few of the parts ready for building!