Project Update

Lots has been going on with this RV14 project, but not so much written on this blog for the last month!

That’s because it’s involved continued planning, both for the wiring and panel design. So there haven’t been many pictures taken. But there are a few things to report …


VPX Wiring

IMG 5912

I have now completed the VPX wiring (power wires), and as it progressed I was able to make a plan of how to secure and route the wiring.


IMG 5952

I’ve routed the harness through P-Clips, attached via nutplates, making it easier to remove them in the future if access to the wiring is needed.

Removing them will also make a “service loop” to the connectors on the unit.


IMG 5953

My additional Bus C is also installed and the wiring attached.

I’ve positioned other P-Clips to anchor the GEA24 wiring, and also all the earth return wires from the various devices.


Instrument Panel

IMG 0023

I routed all the power wires to the general vicinity where the respective devices will be situated on the panel.

But of course, eventually you neeed a concrete plan … hence lots of design work has been required.

I tried many different layouts of the proposed equipment & switches, and have eventually decided on this configuration.

Those of you following this project will remember I have used a free CAD program called “Freecad” to help with positioning all the different components behind the panel. I had hoped to use this for the panel design, but found it hard to easily produce DXF files which I needed to get the panel lasercut.

Someone recommended Fusion 360, which is available on a trial basis and also for a reasonable monthly subscription, allowing a cost effective way to use the software. Of course, it needed a weekend set aside to learn enough about the software to produce the panel drawings. Thank goodness for Youtube!


UntitledImage

The software enables precise positioning of elements, and once a component is complete it’s a quick job to produce a drawing and DXF file.

I decided to keep the panel in three separate parts, rather than one complete unit. This was mainly to allow for a more cost effective remedy if part of the panel needs a rehash.

I found a little company to lasercut test pieces out of cheap aluminium sheet, and I’ve been really impressed by the accuracy. It even cut the tiny switch keyway tabs : ) Even more impressive was how it all fitted like a glove in the aeroplane as planned!

So after a few minor tweaks I am now waiting for the real panel pieces to be cut this week, using the more expensive AL 2024-T3 0.063″.


1 Comment on "Project Update"

  1. Jonathan Smith | February 28, 2021 at 6:40 pm | Reply

    Amazing as always. I think I am going to cry when I see it. Hopefully soon.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*