23-06 & 07 Aileron Torque Tubes

Only one of the VA-162 Pushrod Ends had a slightly too big diameter to fit inside its aileron torque tube, so that one needed a bit of fettling.

I used my vice clamp to secure the CS-00009’s for match drilling.


IMG 4610

But the WD-1014 Aileron Torque Tubes wouldn’t fit in the clamp. So I made some V-Blocks to get the job done.


IMG 4611

The CS-00009B Torque Tube Collars have to be cut to length, so I fine tuned them with the vertical sander.

The manual has a typo here, which caused some head scratching to find the material from which to make them. The manual says make from WD-1014PC, which meant I was looking for a powder coated part, and of course is one of the Torque Tube welded assemblies anyway?? When I searched for CS-00009B on the Vans online parts list, it turned out to be steel tubing ST4130-035X7/8X22.


Match Drilling Collars

IMG 4612

These holes are match drilled, and eventually need to accommodate AN3 bolts. So the holes have to be accurately drilled all the way through the tubes.

I came up with the following method:

1. Match drill each hole #30, clecoing as each is drilled as per the manual advice.


IMG 4614

2. Once opposite holes have been drilled, align the torque tube by lowering the stationary #30 drill bit through both holes.


IMG 4615

3. Having re-clamped the torque tube, I then opened up both holes to #17 by drilling all the way through.


IMG 4618

4. And then finally reamed them to 3/16″.

This method produced accurate holes with the AN3 bolts fitting snuggly with zero play.


Jigging the Torque Tube Assemblies

IMG 4624

Jigging the Fwd & Aft Torque Tubes on the Collar needed some thought.

The angle is straightforward, using a spacer block.

But there is a 1/32″ tolerance on the overall length … hmm.


IMG 4622

The manual has another typo at this point, in the text specifying a 1 1/64 [25.8 mm] thick spacer block, but the diagram saying 1 1/32 [25.8 mm]! Well, I reckoned since 25.8 mm is 1 1/64″, then that was what was required.

I machined a block on the vertical sander, then marked the position that gave an accurate 25.8mm.


IMG 4623

To achieve an accurate length, I marked the bench with knife lines 17 49/64″ apart (mid tolerance), and then used a steel rule to check the end plane of each Pushrod End was vertically above the mark.


IMG 4625

I match drilled two #30 holes with the workpiece clamped to the bench.

Then I removed it from the jig and used the same previously mentioned method to finish the holes.


Priming & Painting

IMG 4626

I attempted to scuff the inside of the tubes ready for priming.


IMG 4627

I used wire to drag scotchbrite through the small tubes.


IMG 4628

And used some scrap wood to push it through the larger tubes.

Same for all the degreasing.

Then I poured primer down each tube, rotating etc to try and get complete coverage inside.


IMG 4646

The non powder coated pieces need priming/painting on the outside. Since the powder coated parts looked a bit unsightly after pouring primer down inside them, I decided to spray a light coat of paint on them as well.

I carefully marked each piece so that I’ll be able to assemble everything back as it was match drilled.

We’ll see how I get on with that later : )

IMG 4650

Be the first to comment on "23-06 & 07 Aileron Torque Tubes"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*